SERVPRO To Clean Up After A Home Fire, Don't Try It Yourself
Cleaning Up After a Fire
In the aftermath of a fire, wooden furniture may require refinishing. Metal may rust, pit and corrode. Painted walls may yellow. Clothing may be ruined, and flooring may require refinishing.
If property is left untreated for too long, its restoration will be more costly and time-consuming. Extensive contact with soot can permanently damage items. Eventually, replacement of property becomes the only option.
Hiring a Professional
Quick cleanup by a professional is the best way to minimize the impact of the destruction. Hiring a certified cleanup company, such as SERVPRO, that specializes in fire and smoke restoration In Mulberry they effectively stop additional damage so repairs can begin.
The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification, which is abbreviated “IICRC,” is recognized around the world for its goal to standardize the cleanup industry. An IICRC-certified professional, such as SERVPRO, is apt to provide more efficient, complete fire and smoke cleanup than non-certified competitors.
• Do not attempt cleanup without work gloves and adequate respiratory protection. Smoke particles can lodge in the lungs and cause breathing problems.
• Upon entering the property, place fans in all open doorways and windows to remove harmful airborne contaminants. Adequate airflow reduces the potential of injury and discourages progressive damage from smoke.
• Use specially designed soot cleaning sponges and soapy water to clean smoky contaminants from surfaces. Work from the highest points of contamination downward.
• Using an efficient vacuum, suction upholstery and carpet to prevent re-contamination of cleaned areas. Replace the vacuum cleaner filter periodically.
• Launder all washable fabrics. Fine materials should be taken to a professional dry cleaner.
• Wash the building exterior with a wand and water hose. The agitation of attached soot halts progressive smoke damage.
Though heavy residues always require professional removal, even small degrees of smoke damage can be removed by certified technicians, like SERVPRO. Inappropriate cleaning measures can damage property further.
The IICRC-certified technicians at SERVPRO have the training and experience needed to restore damaged property. If structural disfiguring has occurred, consulting a general contractor may be required. Nevertheless, insurance coverage normally pays the full restoration cost minus the preset deductible. With professional help, it’s not difficult to restore a damaged property.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. When various materials burn, the soot and residue they create differs greatly and requires a specific cleaning procedure. The steps listed below illustrate our process for the “typical” fire damage restoration. Learn more about our fire damage restoration process.
- Emergency Contact
- Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
- Immediate Board-Up and Roof Tarp Service (if needed)
- Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
- Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
- Cleaning and Repair