Maintenance Tips for Your Florida Home
Here are some tips that all Florida homeowners need to know!
On a Monthly Basis:
- Clean or replace air conditioning filters. This helps to keep your air conditioning system operating at peak performance.
- Flush toilets and run water through all sinks and bath tubs/showers that are not used on a regular basis.
- Inspect and repair the following caulked areas as necessary.
- Window & door seals
- Kitchen & bath areas that are frequently exposed to being wet
- Flushing areas
On a Quarterly Basis:
- Check your GFCls (ground fault circuit interrupters) for proper operations by pressing the “Test” button. If the circuit does not trip, replace your GFCI outlet.
- Clean your faucet aerators & inspect your plumbing for leaks.
- Check the exterior drainage conditions to ensure that nothing is causing water to stand in puddles for more than 24 hours, and that water from any source is not draining toward your foundation.
- Inspect and clean all of your exterior vents. Make sure that air flows freely and that each has an operable damper to prevent back flow of outside air and to keep small animals from entering your home.
On a Seasonal Basis:
- Inspect sprinklers and make adjustments as needed. Timers will also need to be adjusted based on the time of year.
- Clean and repair gutters. Make sure they are free of debris that could prevent free flow of water. Be sure water from the gutters is being properly deflected away from the home.
- Inspect roof for loose or missing shingles and check flashing seals. Make necessary repairs.
On an Annual Basis:
- Have your Air Conditioner serviced by a professional. Be sure they clean the coils as this can help prevent mold growth.
- Have your air ducts checked. If your ductwork is not cleaned when needed, it can pollute your home’s air and also increase your electricity bills.
- Service your lawn mower and yard equipment (blowers, edgers and trimmers
- Have your home fire extinguishers tested and replace smoke alarm batteries.
- Have your hot water heater professionally serviced.
- Have your carpet professionally cleaned by a reputable company like SERVPRO!!