4 Things To Avoid When Using a Space Heater
When Using a Space Heater, Avoid These 4 Mistakes
When the weather in Medulla, FL, starts getting colder, you might rely on a space heater to keep you warm. These devices can make you more comfortable, but they can also be unsafe if not used properly. There are some things you should avoid to reduce the likelihood of a burned space heater or a home fire.
1. Don’t Leave the Heater Unattended
Never leave your heater on when you leave the house. While the idea of coming home to a warm, toasty building may be nice, the heater could get too hot while you are out, resulting in a fire or other damage.
2. Don’t Keep Flammable Items Near the Heater
Keep the area around your heater clear of flammable items. These could get too hot and combust. Fabrics, paper, and other similar items should be kept at least a few feet away. Flammable liquids should be placed even further.
3. Don’t Overload the Outlet
When you are using your heater, don’t plug other electronics into the same outlet. This could cause the outlet to overheat, resulting in a burned space heater, outlet, or plug. You should also plug your heater directly into the outlet and avoid using an extension cord.
4. Don’t Use a Damaged or Burned Space Heater
If your heater has damage from a past incident, replace it. You might think it’s fine to keep using it a bit longer to avoid buying a new one, but continuing to warm your home with a damaged heater is a safety hazard. Some components may no longer function as intended and could result in further damage or a fire.
Not only can fires be devastating to your home, but fire and smoke cleanup and restoration can take a lot of time and energy. Reduce the chances of fires and other damage by using your space heater safely.